How we fought unhealthy apps and malicious builders in 2019

Posted by Andrew Ahn, Product Supervisor, Google Play + Android Utility Safety

Google Play connects customers with nice digital experiences to assist them be extra productive and entertaining, in addition to to supply utility builders with the instruments to achieve billions of customers all over the world. Such a thriving ecosystem can solely be achieved and maintained when belief and safety are considered one of its key foundations. Over the previous few years, we've made the belief and safety of Google Play a prime precedence, and we've continued to speculate and enhance in our abuse detection programs, insurance policies, and groups to fight unhealthy apps and malicious actors.

In 2019, we continued to strengthen our insurance policies (particularly to raised defend kids and households), enhance our developer approval course of, provoke deeper collaboration with safety business companions by way of the Protection Alliance App, to enhance our machine studying detection programs analyzing purposes. code, metadata, and person engagement indicators for any suspicious content material or conduct, in addition to scaling the quantity and depth of guide critiques. The mixture of those efforts has resulted in a a lot cleaner Play Retailer:

Google Play launched a brand new coverage in 2018 to forestall apps from gaining pointless entry to privacy-sensitive textual content messages and name logs. We now have seen a major lower of 98% within the purposes accessing SMS information and the decision log the builders who’ve joined us to replace their purposes and defend customers. The remaining 2% is made up of apps that require SMS and Name Log information to carry out their major perform.

The most effective methods to guard customers from unhealthy apps is to maintain these apps out of the Play Retailer within the first place. Our improved management mechanisms stopped greater than 790,000 submissions from rules-breaking purposes earlier than they have been revealed on the Play Retailer .

As with our SMS and name log coverage, we additionally adopted a coverage to raised defend households in Could 2019. After placing this in place, we labored with the builders to replace or delete tens of 1000’s of apps, making the Play Retailer a safer place for everybody.

As well as, we launched a brand new Google Play Defend expertise, our built-in malware safety for Android gadgets. Google Play Defend scans greater than 100 billion apps each day, offering customers with details about potential safety points and the steps they will take to maintain their gadgets safe. Final 12 months, Google Play Defend additionally prevented greater than 1.9 billion malware installations from non-Google Play sources.

Whereas we’re happy with what now we have been capable of obtain in partnership with our developer group, we all know there’s nonetheless work to be performed. Evil opponents will proceed to plan new methods to evade our detection programs and put customers in danger for their very own achieve. Our dedication to create the most secure and most helpful utility platform on the earth will proceed in 2020, and we’ll proceed to put money into the primary areas of utility safety talked about within the weblog of the 39; final 12 months:

Strengthen utility safety insurance policies to guard person privateness

Sooner detection of unhealthy actors and blocking repeat offenders

Detecting and eradicating apps with dangerous content material and conduct

Our groups of product managers, engineers, coverage consultants and passionate COOs will proceed to work with the developer group to speed up the tempo of innovation and ship Safer app retailer for billions of Android customers worldwide.